.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, May 12, 2006

 

HAPPY BELATED UPTIME ROLLOVER!

I looked at the uptime on my linux server today. It said 3 days. Huh, I said? I have processes that have been running longer than that, surely it didn't reboot...

It didn't. Apparently *nix uptime counters roll over at about 497 days (100 ticks per second in a 32-bit unsigned int) So that means that my box's uptime is now 500 days!

The box is hosted with ServerMatrix (AKA ThePlanet). It says something about their reliability when the uptime of your server rolls over. Last time I rebooted the box was for a kernel upgrade 500 days ago, and it seems that I haven't bothered to upgrade the kernel on the box in... 500 days ;)

Now if only they could figure out a way to replace the kernel without rebooting the box, you'd never have to reboot in Linux.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?