.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

 

Programming trouble

I know that most of the programmers who read planit are of the linux variety, but there are a lot of REALLY smart people here, and I'm hoping that at least one of them has experience with windows programming :)

I'm trying to write to a file, but let other applications read it at the same time. The general idea is to create a file and start writing to it (downloading data as you go), and still have other programs able to open the file to read from the part that has already been downloaded.

What I'm trying to do so far is open the file in write-only mode, and set the fileshare permission to read. I've also tried opening in readwrite, and setting fileshare permission to readwrite, and all combinations of those two. I just can't get this to work.

I know this can be done, because I can read firefox's downloads-in-progress just fine. Does anybody have an idea as to how this can be done?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?